Calling all local Artists, Designers, Sketchers, Makers, Doodlers, Creatives…
Competition applications open today from the Local Pound to help them find 4 talented local people to create works for promotional, community building and inspirational purposes. The Local Pound and Colu are looking for work that is a visual representation of the city and the local economy as you see it.
The works will be used by Local Pound as we look to help create a vibrant and connected local economy in Liverpool.
Each of the 4 winning artists’ work will be promoted through project partner organisations, including ourselves, dot-art, Liverpool Art Fair and Rennies Arts and Crafts, ensuring artists work is valued and seen by as many people as possible.
As well as cash prizes for each of the winning artists, the final artworks will receive exhibition publicity though the Liverpool Art Fair, social media promotion through us, and become the championed designs for Local Pound. Each winner will be featured on a minimum print run of 1,000 flyers each, as well as posters displayed in or around 75+ businesses that accept the Local Pound in Liverpool.
Leon at the Local Pound told us “We believe in supporting creativity, sustainability and fairness. This is why competition submissions will consist of artist portfolios and previous work created, as opposed to creating any work. Only the 4 winning artists selected by the judging panel, will then be asked to create the final work, once their prize has been confirmed.”
“In our humble opinion, connected communities with money, goods and services circulating locally, facilitated by smart technology, can be a powerful force for change.”
“We would love the entries to focus on Liverpool as a city, but also be inspired by a future where local, multicultural communities are more resilient, more joined up, sustainable and ultimately happier.”
With 65p spent in a local business staying here compared to 30p when spent in a chain or multinational, we tend to agree.
Leon said, “Globalisation has not done a lot for certain communities and areas of our city. We envisage a different, more local future. We hope to find talented individuals who are also inspired by the world moving to a different beat.”
How to Enter & Competition Structure
- Register your interest before the 26th of June to receive competition terms and conditions by emailing Leon@colu.com
- 4 winning artists will be chosen by a panel of judges based on your application form, your proposed ideas for the artwork and examples of previous work created.
- The 4 winning artists will then be asked to complete the final artwork within 3 weeks of the competition closing date.
- Once all of the artwork is complete, a People’s Choice Award will take place on social media, giving the general public the chance to vote for their favourite artwork. This winning artwork will receive an additional prize of 150 Local Pounds. The People’s Choice Winner will be announced week commencing 24 July.
- All 4 winning artists will receive £300 each on completion of their artwork as well as 150 Local Pounds each.
- £25 pound Rennies Arts and Crafts vouchers for each winning artist
- People’s Choice Award, chosen by public vote on social media, will get an additional top prize of 150 Local Pounds
- Winning artists will have their work reproduced in a print run of 1000 flyers per winner, minimum 2 A1 posters featured at Local Pound events and accepting businesses
- A showcase of the winning designs will be displayed over one weekend at the prestigious Liverpool Art Fair at Pier Head Village.
All terms and conditions and rules will be provided to entrants when they register their interest by emailing Leon@colu.com.